Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Heart and Soul

Any music artist will tell you that they were compelled to become a musician because of one or more musical influences who first inspired them to love music and cultivate their talent. For me, that person was my grandmother: Gloria Giessler. Her name may not be known worldwide for her talent and impact, but there's no way to know for sure how far the ripple effect of her influence has reached! She has entertained and touched so many as she played the piano and organ for family, friends, and even church congregations. She even patiently encouraged and instructed many students over the years to play as well. I am certain that the many children and adults that took lessons from her are all the richer in character and talent because of her.

Undoubtedly, I wasn't the only one who developed the passion and talent for music because of all the heart she put into helping me love it! I can't even begin to count all the times she took me to Dave's Music Den so she could buy me music books and sheet music! Then, she told me I could play as long as I wanted when we got back to her house! You would have thought you just told me I was going to Disneyland or something because my heart raced at the thrill of what that meant to me! Getting to learn and play new things until my fingers were tired was such a gift!! All the while, she helped me learn how to do it and always told me how well I was doing (even if I thought I was doing terrible).

Beyond what she accomplished as a music teacher is what she achieved in her roles as a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother, and friend. She was beloved and cherished for the wonderful heart she had, the wisdom she shared, and the laughter she always brought (I can still hear her iconic laugh in my mind!). She was always so thoughtful, generous, caring, and the kind of woman you would want to make great memories with (I know I have MANY with her!).

We all love and miss such a wonderful lady because of all that she meant to us. We'll always remember her and I know that the world is a better place because of the beautiful sounds that she created in the symphony of her life! Those that she impacted will sing, play, and exhibit kindness to others because she showed us how! Thank you, Grandma! I love you!

Grace and peace to you, my friends! May we all be so blessed to have wonderful friends and family members in our lives to leave such an imprint on us in order that we may be richer in virtue and character! Praise God for those who help create those songs that make up the heart and soul (pun intended!) of our being! God bless you!

No comments: