Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Just to Catch You Up on Things Before I Leave...

This is just a miscellaneous blog to bring up a few things and catch all of you up on what’s been going on lately…….

Wednesday, we spent all day at the funeral home. My great-grandmother looked wonderful. She looked like she was merely asleep and resting peacefully. I half-expected her to wake up and smile at us; though I know that she is already alive and well in heaven!! Her casket was also very beautiful (and she had it all picked out herself - way back in 1995! LOL). That’s Grandma for you!! ;) She had it all planned out and everything was beautiful. Her casket was gray, but it had shades of pink and burgundy and roses etched into it. The inside, where she was resting, was a beautiful and soft pink. She always did love pink!! Many of her flowers were shades of pink as well.

There were some tears, of course, but very little compared to all the memories of life and laughter that we shared as family gathered together (some of which hadn’t seen each other in a long time). It was wonderful to be together, celebrate her life, and fellowship together. And, I must also say, the funeral home was a wonderful, homey, and accommodating place with an all-star staff that went out of their way to do all they could to care for the needs of everyone present. My kudos to them on a job well done!! THANK YOU!!

Today’s funeral was also wonderful and my step-father preached it; as well as sang a couple songs (my Mom sang one of the songs with him). And, my Uncle Jim (who is recovering from injuries incurred while in Florida for the winter) even managed the strength to sing a song.
I also was asked to read the blog I composed about Grandma right after her passing. I was amazed that I got through it without crying and I can’t thank all of you enough for praying for my family and I!! I had expected that everyone would be tremendously emotional, but it wasn’t nearly as taxing as we had anticipating and everyone coped very well!! Thank you so much, everyone. Your prayers have been giving us the strength, endurance, and comfort that we have all been desiring.

Speaking of prayer, I would like to request that you pray for a safe trip for all of us who are traveling after coming together this week. Pray for health and safety. Some of you may even be wondering why I said “us” and that is because I will be traveling with my children to South Carolina to stay with my Mom, step-father, and brother for two weeks. This is the kind of break that we need for so many reasons. The togetherness, change of scenery, etc. will be good for us. Therefore, my online time will still be limited. Thank you for your understanding!!

One last thing I would like to mention before I close is that tomorrow is once again the monthly call for life. I participated yesterday; given the fact that I will be on the road all day tomorrow. And, I do have some news to report (I don’t know if it means anything or not, but hey,…….I’ll take it!!). Anyways, on the call for life days, I always e-mail the president, my governor, senators, and congressmen and thank them for their stance on life and encourage them to keep doing so (with the exception of Mr. Evan Bayh whom I have to beg to see the light and change his position to life instead of death - hasn’t happened yet either!! GOD SAVE EVAN BAYH!!). Then, I also call an abortion clinic. The past few times, I have called the Indy abortion clinic. I don’t know for sure, but I think I have gotten the same voice on the other line each time for a while. Each time, she sounds softer and more open. I always tell her that I am from the monthly call for life campaign and that I am thinking of them and praying for them today. Then, I ask if there is anything I could personally pray for her about. Often times, I get hang ups, snide remarks, and even strange requests that I pray for God to bless their “business” or something. One time, I was just simply told to pray that she could get through each day every day. (Wow, that just broke my heart!!) But, today, she said “no thanks, darling,” politely said good-bye and hung up. Like I said, I don’t know for sure if I keep getting the same lady, but it sounds like it. Pray that God would continue working on her heart. I feel as if something is going on inside her.

That’s what makes these calls for life so worth it. You never know what kind of a difference you make!! You might be helping to convict the heart of one of your representatives, abortion clinic workers, or encouraging the leaders who do stand for life to keep doing what they are doing. All of this is simple but important work and it’s only once a month!! It doesn’t take long!! Please, make time to do this!! Isn’t it worth just a few precious minutes ONCE A MONTH to try and make a difference and maybe even save lives??

With that final thought, I will bid you adieu. I don’t know when I will be blogging next, but I thank you all for continuing to read and I just pray that God will bless you as much as all of you have blessed me with your kindness, thoughtfulness, and prayers!! I love you all!!

No comments: