Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Blessings of Character

Last week, I answered the phone and heard the voice of my son’s principal on the other end. Nervous and concerned, I asked her if Casey was ok or if he had done something wrong. She happily assured me that everything was fine and that she was calling me to tell me good news. She explained to me that Casey would be receiving a certificate of recognition for an “Awesome Office Visit.” She told me that teachers nominate students for various things, and that Casey had been nominated by several teachers because of his display of compassion. She told me about the countless times he had rushed to comfort children on the playground, when they were in tears, or how he had kissed the “ouchie” of a teacher in the lunchroom (who was wearing a wrist brace) and asked if she was ok.

As I listened to how she praised him, my heart just melted and tears filled my eyes. She told me what a sweet boy Casey is and said “thank you for sharing him with us!” All of which further pierced my heart with humility as I thought about how reluctant I had been to let him attend public school. Because of his special needs, I had to let go of my desire to home-school him in order for him to excel beyond what I was equipped to provide. At his school, he gets specialized help for his hearing disabilities, and learns/grows much better from others than he does from plain old Mommy. It was hard for me to accept it, and I felt like I had failed him, until I came to grips with how much greater a failure it would be if I didn’t do what was in his best interest. It was in that time that the church counselor told me to put this phrase from God on my fridge: “Do you trust me?” That phrase still remains on my fridge as I make the continuous choice to say “Yes, Father. I trust You with my son; the child You gave to me and love even more than I do. I know that everything is going to be alright and that You will work all things out for good.”

For me, few things have been sweeter than that moment in which I seen the fruit of trust; the fact that Casey is Casey no matter where he goes (and that he is blessing the lives of others!). I see the promise of Proverbs 22:6 at work: “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.“

I am assured that Casey will continue growing in compassion; especially if I continue to nurture his character (just as a special speaker mentioned to all us Moms at our “Mom Life” meeting). In this, there is true treasure and success!! In fact, I framed his little office award so that he will know that more than any trophy, degree, or whatever is to come in his life, CHARACTER is what counts - and we will value that more than anything else!!

Even though Casey doesn’t understand what he has done, or what his compassion does for others, I know that one day he will. His certificate of recognition isn’t realized by him right now, but it is realized by me, my family, and my heavenly Father. I praise God for how much He has taught me, and others, through Casey’s heart and gifts. These are the moments that transcend every moment of failure, doubt, or frustration that one has when they’re a Mom. These precious moments make the rough ones more bearable when you remember that underneath all the sibling rivalry, tantrums, and struggles, there is true character and a love for God in the heart of your child; something that you helped to shape and model somehow - even with all your own imperfections.

May all your lives be filled with the treasures that come from the blessings of character!! Grace and peace to all of you!!

No comments: