Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Grandma Is With Jesus

God’s timing is perfect. That is what everyone always says; and what I have always believed - because it‘s TRUE! He perfectly orchestrates everything - even if things appear less than perfect.

So is the case tonight. A few hours ago, I was notified that my Grandma has gone to meet Jesus. We have all been expecting and preparing for this, but still…the news does kind of “hit you.” I sat in shock for a few moments and didn’t react. Then, I got up and went to the bathroom to cry for a few minutes. Then, I just spent some time alone; to think, process, and pray.

I will have more to say at a later date. Knowing me, and the way I “process” I will likely end up writing something mushy and meaningful….later. But, for right now, I will just tell you about my last few moments with her and what it means to me….

My great-grandmother has been in the nursing home for about a year. She has had a lot of ups and downs but had always made it through. However, she was really tired. This cold that she has had for a while really made it hard for her to breathe. So, it’s understandable that she didn’t want to fight so hard anymore. All of the family decided to let her know how much we loved and cared for her and that we understood her willingness to be with Jesus. Yesterday, when I called her, I told her I was going to come see her. She said ok.

When I arrived, my cousins were there and preparing to leave. With tears in their eyes, my cousin, Van, told her that if she were to go home to tell his Dad, daughter, Brett (my Uncle) and everyone that we loved them and that we would all be together someday. Thinking about those words bring tears of both sadness and joy to my heart because while “parting is such sweet sorrow” there is joy in knowing that for those of us who have Jesus in our hearts, there is eternal life and we will all be together forever, with Jesus, someday.

So, trying to be strong, I sat beside my great-grandmother and held her hand for a while. She said she didn’t want to talk or see anyone anymore, but I stayed for a while. She closed her eyes and didn’t say much. I prayed in my heart as I held her hand. I tried to talk to her a little bit. Then, my cousin called. She didn’t want to talk, so I just held the phone to her ear and watched her open her eyes for a bit until she closed them again. At the very least, I think most everyone got to say good-bye and convey their love to her.

I had asked Grandma if she wanted to see my husband or kids one more time. She declined. I asked her if she wanted me to go and she said she didn’t care - though I know that she does and always has loved me and all of us. I gave her a kiss and told her I loved her. I walked to the door, turned back one more time to look at her and to see if she would look back. She didn’t. I took in the moment and knew that it would probably be the last time I saw her. At the very least, I had peace that I would see her again and that she was going to be with Jesus soon!! I wished I could too - though I know that it is her time, not mine. I know that I will be with my Jesus after all I have accomplished for Him is through. I will live for Him and live a life of purpose and fulfill my destiny. I can only hope that I will live a full and long life such as hers; a life so rich, not with material wealth but true treasure. A life rich and abundant with happy memories shared with a loving family and so much to be thankful for!! Her life commemorates a grand legacy. She will be missed, but she does live on; in our hearts, lives, and in heaven with Jesus.

Like I said about God’s timing, it really is perfect. Of course, a death never seems like good-timing, but when thinking about the picture of life, you see it differently. My Grandma has Christ, so she has life. I can’t imagine how joyous she must be now that she is at home in heaven!! And, to go to heaven the day before we remember and celebrate Christ’s resurrection - what timing indeed!! Thank you, Jesus, for new life!!

Thank you all for your prayers. Pray now for the strength and health of our family. Many will be traveling home to Indiana soon. Pray for safety as well. Thank you for remembering us!!

No comments: