Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Tough Days

“Ugh, I don’t want to workout!” We all have days like that (well, I definitely do!). Actually, it can be more often than not. Usually, however, I exercise anyways. The days that are the hardest are the days like today; when you’re feeling moody, hormonal, blah, and just about every emotion in-between. You can’t really explain why you feel the way you do (if you‘re a woman, you understand!) and you really feel like just saying “ah, forget it!” for the day.

Sometimes you do “forget it”. Other times, you push through anyways. Even then, it can be really hard because everyone on the workout video is smiling. “What are YOU smiling about?” you want to ask. “Oh, that’s right. It’s EFFORTLESS for you and you have a perfect body! That’s why!” Then, whomever is leading the video, says something really lame like “are you having fun?” or “you there at home, you‘re doing great!“ or the real kicker, “you’re gonna look so good!“. It’s at that moment, for some MYSTERIOUS reason, that you want to scream “shut up!” and put your foot through the TV.

These are the tough days; the days where you can’t tell if what’s pouring down your face is sweat or tears (or both!). All the fear of “what if I never get to goal?” starts to turn into doubts of “that’s right, I never will…I should just give up!” as well as anger, “I HATE being fat! I’m so tired of it! Why does it have to be so hard?!” It makes you want to explode and then binge on something to finalize your defeat.

But then, you get through it. Why? Because you know the difference between truth and lies. You remember that you can do all things through Christ (Philippians 4:13) and that He will give you the strength to overcome. You remember that your emotions are fleeting and that no matter if you’re feeling bad physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually, you will make it! And, as you’re lying there on the floor after doing some killer ab work, you actually manage to smile with relief and feel grateful that it’s over (and hope that it all pays off). You resolve to keep clinging the victory. Satan may assault you, but he’ll never knock you out because Christ is the champion and has already won for you! ;)

Sometimes venting (and even laughing) about struggles like this can do wonders! It’s why I wanted to post this because I know that it’s something that a lot of us can relate to! So, if you are reading this (and are nodding your head and smiling/laughing) remember to keep persevering! Yeah, I’m not going to tell you to “hang in there” because I know how much that cliché annoys me and how I about want to “hang” up the towel even more when I hear that ridiculous phrase! I guess maybe the better phrase is the one that Red Green says (and it always kind of makes me smile): “Remember, I’m pullin’ for ya! We’re all in this together!” It also makes me want to break out into the “High School Musical” song……. ;) LOL! Oh my gosh, now that’s going to be stuck in my head for a while! So catchy!!

Ok, well, here’s to getting through the tough days! Here’s to prayer which carries us and gives us the strength to endure and refuels us when we fall (becomes sometimes, we just wanna pass out!). Knocked down, but not defeated! We’ll always rise back up! We got the King of Kings as our coach; always in our corner! God bless you all!

No comments: