Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

He Is...

Just a few days ago, a friend of mine was telling me how Psalm 62 had given her some peace and helped her to deal with her circumstances That’s not surprising considering that the book of Psalms is so encouraging. So, the Lord reminded me of that yesterday and I decided to read what she read.

When I read it, I was comforted with much peace and joy. I was filled with thanksgiving and praise for the Lord as I hung on every word and pondered it deeply. Read it for yourself and let it sink in!! It’s awesome!! Here is what Psalm 62 says:

1Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.

2He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.

3How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.

4They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.

5My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

6He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.

7In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

8Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

9Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.

10Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

11God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

12Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Verse one reminded me of the peace one gets in the stillness; just waiting on the Lord and being in his presence. I thought of the sermon from a couple weeks ago that continues to stay with me (it was the sermon about the “fig tree”). I just sat and remained still; just concentrating on the goodness of the Lord and all that He is. He is THE GREAT “I AM”; He is everything!!

Verse two…..WOW!! He’s my rock!! He is solid, faithful, and trustworthy. He is my refuge and defender and I will not be shaken. The next two verses describe the reasons why one will not be “moved” or shaken. They talk about the persecution and oppression that all of us face in our lives. Of course, Jesus told us in John 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." What a blessed comfort it is to know that even in troubling storms, Jesus is there. He is our peace! He has already overcome all evil and therefore, we have the victory in Him!!
I like how verse five says that He is our expectation. Waiting on and trusting in Him is to be our focus. EXPECT great things from God!!

Following that verse is the repeated affirmation that He is our rock and salvation. He is our defense from all that accuse and persecute us. We don’t have to worry. He brings us peace and rest.

Verses seven and eight calm the heart even further by describing God’s provision for us. He provides (and IS!) our salvation, glory, strength, and refuge. When we trust in Him and pour out our heart, He comforts us and builds us up! It’s amazing!! I don’t know what I would do without Him!!

The next verses spoke to me even more; especially when I read “Trust not in oppression.” It hit me like a ton of bricks because sometimes, I focus too much on the trouble and not enough on God. Why trust in the oppression and in my own ability to deal with things? I need to trust in the Lord!! One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 3:5-6 which says: “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” I want to trust and acknowledge Him and His sovereignty - in all my “ways” and circumstances. I want HIM to direct my steps. I want to be filled with His wisdom, peace, joy, and all good things. I want to think about and dwell on good Spirit-filled things; not the things that oppress and oppose me. (Philippians 4:8).

The last two verses were the icing on the cake, so to speak. It was the blessed assurance of the fact that God is in control. He takes care of everything, and He takes care of ME! “Power belongeth to God” as well as mercy. He will “renderest to every man according to his work.” I desire God’s power and mercy in my life. I pray that He will render and pour it out on me. I desire it for all of you!! God truly is an awesome God!! May His power and mercy be rendered to you!!

This Psalm spoke grace and peace to me, and I just thought I would share it with all of you in the hope that your heart would be just as blessed!! I pray that everyone will have sweet moments of peace and stillness with God. I pray that every heart will have the reassurance that God is in control and that He is our rock, our defender, our strength, our everything!! Be encouraged!! He has overcome all things and is the “blessed controller” of all things (as I have been reading in a book that I will be blogging about sometime soon!). Grace and peace to you all! I love you!! OXOXO

No comments: