Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

Pray for Haley

Today, I am urgently requesting prayer for Haley Chaney. There was a call to prayer and fasting yesterday at church and we met in the prayer room last night to gather in prayer for Haley. We will also be meeting tonight as well.

Haley is the daughter of Angie and Tony Chaney. Tony used to pastor the youth at our church and he and his family are blessed wonderful servants of the Lord!! Pray for Haley’s healing; and for strength and comfort for the family. If you want to read about the events that led up to Haley’s hospitalization, you can click on the link provided. You can also visit Haley’s Care Page to view updates, post comments, and let the family know that you are praying for them (you‘ll have to sign up to view/comment on the page).

This is such a rough time for the community. We have had a lot of heartache and tragedy amongst our youth in this area. Just recently, William Krinn was accidentally shot and killed by one of his friends, and it really sent shockwaves throughout the area. There are just so many hurting people right now. Pray for the healing of this community and for God to bring good things out of these tragedies. We do have the assurance that “all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28). In fact, it was mentioned at the prayer meeting that the boy who accidentally shot William Krinn is now one of the people helping to comfort others who are coping with Haley’s tragedy. It was said that you would have never known that he was the same boy because only a short time before, he was so down and on suicide watch.

Also pray for Alyssa Shutt. She was the one driving when her and Haley were in the accident. Alyssa is fine, but she is understandably going through a hard time emotionally. Please pray for strength and encouragement for her and her family!

Alicia Hill read Psalm 91 last night as we prayed over members of the Shutt family - and for Haley. It’s a blessed comfort, and if you’re personally hurting as well, do what Alicia did and put your name in the Psalm and make it a prayer like she did when she prayed it for Alyssa:

Psalm 91

1 Alyssa that dwelleths in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2Alyssa will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3Surely he shall deliver Alyssa from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4He shall cover Alyssa with his feathers, and under his wings shalt Alyssa trust: his truth shall be her shield and buckler.

5Alyssa shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7A thousand shall fall at Alyssa’s side, and ten thousand at her right hand; but it shall not come nigh Alyssa.

8Only with her eyes shalt she behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9Because Alyssa hast made the LORD, which is her refuge, even the most High, her habitation;

10There shall no evil befall Alyssa, neither shall any plague come nigh her dwelling.

11For he shall give his angels charge over Alyssa, to keep her in all thy ways.

12They shall bear Alyssa up in their hands, lest thou dash her foot against a stone.

13Alyssa shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt she trample under feet.

14Because he hath set his love upon Alyssa, therefore will I deliver her: I will set her on high, because she hath known my name.

15Alyssa shall call upon me, and I will answer her: I will be with her in trouble; I will deliver her, and honour her.

16With long life will I satisfy Alyssa, and shew her my salvation.

I am also comforted by my daily Bible reading in which I read Psalm 119 today (which, of course, is the longest chapter in the Bible). The particular verses that really spoke to me about Haley and all pain amongst us were these:

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word

71It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes

77Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight

105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path

114Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word

133Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me

143Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: yet thy commandments are my delights

153Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law.

165Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.


Tragedy has the unique ability to bring us closer to God. So many times, when life is going good, we become prideful, arrogant, and self-sufficient and often times, it takes a tragic event to wake us up and draw us back to the Lord (just like on 9/11). Even when you ARE walking with the Lord (like the Chaneys) you still aren’t exempt from trouble. Just like with Job, he didn’t deserve all the tragedy that befell him either. But, the Lord allowed him to be tested; spared his life; and restored Him. That is what he will do with the Chaneys - and this whole community!! Whenever trouble hits, we band together in support and prayer and we overcome it by the grace of God. Therefore, I expect to see miracles!!

God will restore and heal!! God is still good, and His Word and promises will be our refuge and strength. He really is our hiding place; our shield and our hope. We will not be overtaken and dominated by iniquity. We will still give God praise and delight in him. He will remember our faithfulness and He will bring peace and healing through His own faithfulness!! Our God is a great God and a God of miracles!! He is the God of “the impossible” and I can’t wait to see what God is going to do for Haley as she is healed and restored!!

No comments: